- Level: Professionals
- Start date: As soon as possible
Data Scientist - User Profiling
Join our User Profiling team and help improve the personalized user experience of trivago. We are looking for someone who is interested in working with state-of-the-art machine learning techniques to capture preferences of visitors coming to our website. You will work in a cross-functional team to create a real-time user profiling service used by several teams across the company providing a personalized user journey for our visitors. You need to solve various challenges related to data science (e.g. data crunching, specification of objectives, optimization of algorithms and designing scalable real-time solutions) for which our team offers a great freedom to solve. You will be able to evaluate how your contribution helps millions of users to find their ideal hotel on a global platform.
What you'll do:
- Prepare datasets for prototyping machine learning algorithms.
- Propose measures to evaluate the accuracy of user profiles.
- Proof of concept of user profiling techniques with the functionality of context-awareness and incremental updating.
- Contribute in the implementation of proposed methods to real-time service.
- Optimization, A/B testing and fine tuning of user profiling service for various purposes, e.g. personalized recommendations, targeting, frontend optimization.
- Work in a cross-functional team with Big Data Analysts, Data Engineers, Data Scientists and Software Engineers in product development.
What you'll definitely need:
- Master’s degree (Ph.D. preferred) in a quantitative field (Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Engineering, Finance, etc.).
- 3+ years of working experience dealing with problems related to data analysis and machine learning.
- Hands-on experience in at least one scripting language for data science (preferably Python or R).
- Solid knowledge of SQL and query optimization.
- Proficiency in supervised learning models, optimization techniques and statistics.
- Experience with distributed computing tools (e.g. Spark, H2O, TensorFlow).
- Fluency in English.
What we'd love you to have:
- Experience in product development for real-time service.
- Experience with Recommender System frameworks or libraries.
- Solid knowledge of a general purpose object-oriented programming language (e.g. Java, Scala, C++, PHP, Python).
- Experience with NoSQL databases (e.g. DynamoDB, Cassandra, Redis).
Life at trivago is...
- The belief that factual proof, not seniority, determines which path to take.
- Self-determined working hours based on measuring productivity through goals rather than number of hours spent in the office.
- Being supported in all your needs, including relocation assistance and language classes for international arrivals.
- The freedom to embrace small-scale failures as a path to large-scale success.
- The opportunity to develop personally and professionally with regular free workshops, seminars, sports and activities.
- The ability to push your ideas through to execution without being held back by bureaucracy.
- Working at our head office in Düsseldorf, a city boasting the 6th highest quality of life in the world for expats.
- To find out more about life at trivago follow us on Facebook – @lifeattrivago
- Please note that your CV and motivation letter must be written in English. Please also note that all applications must be made online. We do not accept physical applications and any documents sent to us will not be returned.
- We do not require the services of an agency for this position.
- trivago GmbH is an equal opportunity employer. Applications from individuals with disabilities are welcome.